- Use what you know, metaphysically as well as in the mundane world. For example, I mentioned the one witch I knew who washed her hands to get rid of "evil" spirits. I like anime, so I use some of those symbols and images, as well as concepts from computer science, physics, movies, fiction, etc.
- A banishing should ready you to do magic and declare the space you are working in as magical or sacred space. Family members should know that you are now in a sacred space. If you usually have the TV on 24/7, shut it off. Music for the task should be specifically chosen with intention. You should mentally and physically be declaring the space you are working in as a different space from the mundane world.
- The banishing should help you step into the magical persona via whatever symbols are appropriate to that persona or whatever "ideas" work for it.
- The banishing should be fun.
- It is helpful to involve as many of the senses as possible (that's not always done, as you will see, but initially it is helpful, since it is easier to link in all of the senses).
- Banishings should clear your mind of mundane worries, help you focus, and get you mentally ready to do magic.
Excerpted from Hands-On Chaos Magic, by Andrieh Vitimus