1. The Art of Bliss is your third book in a small span of time (The Good Energy Book came out in January, and Magical Housekeeping last year). Where do you find your inspiration?
2. You focus on Feng Shui in each of your books. Do you feel that this practice is a connecting force between our personal energy and our state of happiness?
To say it another way, in this life experience that appears to be characterized by duality, we feel dis-empowered when we begin to believe that the world of form and the world of spirit—i.e. our bodies and our minds, or our outer and inner environments—are separate. And in my experience, nothing helps you stay grounded in awareness of the connection between these worlds like feng shui. When we position our homes and workspaces so that life force energy (or bliss!) can flow through in the most ideal of ways, we are honoring both form and spirit simultaneously, as well as the vital, meaningful connection between the two. Then, since we spend most of our lives in these environments, almost everything we see constantly reminds of this connection.
3. The Art of Bliss features nine chapters, each focusing on a particular "life key," from Serenity to Synergy. How do you define "life key," and why are these nine aspects of particular importance?
When I began working with the bagua, I soon discovered that there isn’t an aspect of life, or a magical intention, or a component of holistic well-being, that isn’t contained within one of these nine life keys. So each one is not just a place in your home, but an aspect of your life experience. And it’s an experiential thing: once you begin working with these teachings, they’re something you begin to directly feel and know. Your personal relationship with each life key can deepen throughout your lifetime, with or without the assistance of books or external teachings.
What’s more, they all interact with each other. So in effect, the nine life keys comprise an organized, dynamic framework for harmonizing both our inner and outer experience of the world. Knowing about them can greatly enhance not only your spiritual practice, but also your holistic wellbeing and everyday life. Oh, yeah—and the beauty of your home!
4. How can we create the life we have always wanted, simply by re-connecting with our life-force energy?
Of course, everything is always changing and moving and growing, so living the life we’ve always wanted doesn’t mean things start to seem static, like "happily ever after" frozen in time. It means we feel like our life is meaningful and satisfying in the present moment—regardless of where we are in the process of manifesting any given dream. We feel like we have a more sustainable perspective, like we can navigate the twists and turns of life with gratitude and grace. In effect, the life of our dreams might be seen as a positive energetic momentum, a constant spiraling into an even greater level of joy.
5. What do you hope readers will take away from The Art of Bliss?
Tess Whitehurst (Boulder, CO) teaches magical and intuitive arts in live workshops and via her online community and learning hub, the Good Vibe Tribe Online School of Magical Arts. An award-winning author, she's written ...